A family miraculously escaped with their lives as a paper Chinese lantern landed on the roof of the house near to the back of the property which set fire to the insulation in the roof.
Mother-of-two Anne-Marie Cobb, 40, and her two young children Samuel, 8, and Amelia 6, were asleep when the blaze started at 11.15pm in Trowbridge, Wilshire, UK.
Fortunatley for the family a neighbour saw the fire and rang the emergency services and also helped to evacuate them all to safety.
Mrs Cobb said:
“We were all asleep and then one of the neighbours started banging n the door and ringing the doorbell yelling that there was a fire.
“At first you’re a bit groggy and still asleep but then I just thought to get the kids out of the house.
“It was well alight.
“I have a fire extinguisher but there was no way I could put it out.
“It was a big blaze.
“It’s not a good feeling standing and watching your house burning.
“I was just thinking how lucky we were because it was the rear of the property and I don’t think anyone else would have seen it.
“I want to say thank you to my neighbours and the firefighters.
“We were very, very lucky.
“I just want to make people aware of the potential consequences of letting them off, particularly in a built-up area where they could start a fire.”
Local Fire Station Manager Glyn Moody warned:
“Chinese lanterns are very attractive when flying, but we would urge people to think twice before lighting them in residential areas where there is a real risk.”