An inquest in to the tragic death of young mum Donna Bishop has heard that she died from overdosing on medicine to treat a cold when she fell ill two-weeks before Christmas last year.
The attractive 25-year-old was diagnosed with antibiotics from her GP for a chest infection on New Years Eve, just five-days before she died, but also continued to take a daily cocktail of over-the-counter medication including Lemsip drinks and cough medicine to wash the pills down with.
Her health began to deteriorate and she passed away in hospital on January 4 from liver failure caused by a paracetamol overdose.
The inquest at Worcestershire Coroner’s Court in Stourport-on-Severn were told that she had been suffering from a cold for up to two-weeks before her tragic death and had been sick several times while she was taking ‘high’ amounts of over-the-counter drugs.
She was seen by her GP on December 31 who prescribed her with antibiotics but by January 2 she arrived at Worcestershire Royal Hospital complaining of mouth ulcers and having difficulty in swallowing and was prescribed co-damol and a throat spray by a Doctor.
When her sister visited her the next day she found her complexion had become yellow jaundiced and she was unsteady on her feet but despite taking Donna to A&E she left because the wait was too long only to return later in the day when her health had deteriorated and was admitted in to hospital to have tests done to reveal the casue of her jaundice, but once again she left the hospital before any more Â tests had been done.
On January 4, the young mum was admitted to hospital and given a bed on the Gynaecological ward where staff described her condition as, “fidgety” and that she was suffering from “hallucinations”.
Donna denied that she had been taking paracetamol to hospital staff but sadly died later that day.
A pathologist report concluded that Donna Bishop’s tragic death was due to liver failure caused by a paracetamol overdose.